tdi iNTRO TO CAVE DIVING COURSE
TDI INTRO TO CAVE DIVING COURSE IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN
– 3 Days Minimum- $250/day –
The TDI Intro to Cave Course in Playa del Carmen will be your first incursion past the cavern zone. This course will teach you the necessary skills to safely dive in caves in backmount twinset or sidemount configuration while respecting the conservative rule of 1/6th towards gas management, and following only the main cave line.
This course does not prepare you to conduct cave dives involving complex navigation. For that, you must complete the TDI Full Cave Diver Course for which this course is a prerequisite.
This course will prepare you for hazards of cave diving such as loss of visibility, loss of guideline, team separation, loss of breathing gas and more.
What follows the Intro to Cave Course?
Well after you have successfully completed the TDI Intro to Cave course, you can either take time and gain more experience or go on and do the Full Cave Course
What you can expect to learn:
The TDI Intro to Cave Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Policy for cave diving
- Gas management procedures and management to include dissimilar volumes
- Psychological considerations of cave diving
- Equipment considerations including:
- Cylinder options
- Regulator options
- Buoyancy compensator/harness options
- Proper weighting
- Reel options
- Equipment configurations
- Communication (light and hand signals)
- Swimming techniques
- Body posture/trim
- Buoyancy control
- Line following
- Propulsion (finning) techniques
- Breathing techniques
- Stress management
- Cave environment
- Cave conservation
- Emergency procedures
- Equipment failure
- Silting conditions
- Accident analysis
- Cave diving etiquette
- Review of dive tables and decompression theory
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Properly deploy a guideline
- Properly use line markers
- Properly follow a guideline with eyes open and closed (simulating loss of visibility)
- Air share with a buddy with eyes open, following a guideline
- Air share with a buddy with lights off and eyes closed, using touch contact while following the guideline
- Remove and replace mask while in contact with the guideline
- Demonstrate conservation, awareness, and back referencing techniques
- Demonstrate light/hand signals and touch contact
- Demonstrate anti-silting techniques
- Simulate a primary light failure and use back up light to exit
- Demonstrate buoyancy control, proper trim, and propulsion techniques
These requirements must be met prior to commencement of training
Minimum age 18
Minimum of 100 logged dives (log book must be provided)
Provide proof of TDI Cavern Diver certification or equivalent
Cave Diving Course Combinations:
Cavern Diver + Intro To Cave (7 Days Minimum)
Intro to Cave + Full Cave (7 Days Minimum):
Cavern + Intro to Cave + Full Cave Diver (8-10 Days Minimum)
Add sidemount training (extra 3 days)
- Transportation to and from the cenote(s) departing from our dive center in Playa del Carmen.
- Tanks (double tanks or sidemount tanks)
- Weights if needed
- Bottled water
- Technical Diving Equipment. Can be rented for a fee, but students should have their own equipment for this level of diving.
- Entry Fees (15-40 USD/Day)
- Certification Fees
- Personal Diving Equipment – see list of required equipment.
TDI Intro to Cave Diving Training
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in single guideline cave diving activities without direct supervision provided the graduates adhere to the following requirements:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- Planned dives do not exceed diver’s current certification level
- Penetration is limited to the “rule of thirds,” OR 1/6th if using doubles to a maximum depth of 40 metres/130 feet.
- Proper cave diving equipment must be used
- Maintain a continuous guideline
- Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are qualified to progress on to the next level of overhead environment training: the TDI Full Cave Diver course!